Below you will see all of the available News items. Click the + next to the News Title to view the News item
- 14/04/2014Valuable insight learnt in the KFA spring course+I think we can all agree that the recent spring course held at KFA Stourbridge was well received by all attending students. The course focused on the principals of a strong kata and saw Sensei Alex demonstrate and teach kata techniques that can be taken forward into all katas.
After the course several students successfully achieved their next belt in the post-course bonus grading. Congratulations to them and thanks to all those that made the effort to attend the course.
- 14/04/2014Sensei Alex achieves 4th Dan+Congratulations go to Sensei Alex Whyte on achieving his 4th Dan after 17 years of hard training.
To say that Sensei Alex's achievements in karate are many is an understatement. His contribution and dedication to the teaching and furthering of Shukokai karate serves as an example to us all.
Well done and well deserved.
- 18/02/2013KFA at the UK Open Championships+Sunday the 17th of Feb saw the UK Open Karate Championships held at Haden Hill Leisure Centre. After a superb day of Competition, The 6 competitors from KFA came away with 5 Gold, 5 Silver and 2 Bronze medals. Thanks to all the hard work put in by the students (and, often of course, the parents) who all worked together to make this a truly inspiring event.
- 26/11/2011Go to the Articles section for the latest updates+Go to the Articles section on the website to see the latest stories.
- 13/11/2011KFA Tournament 2011+This tournament is open to all students. Please see your instructor for full
Go to the Articles section and Competion Results on the website to see the latest stories.
- 02/10/2011Autumn Course 2011+One day Autumn course on Sunday 2 October 2011
Go to the Articles section on the website to see the latest stories.
The course will be held at:
The Main Hall,
Crystal Leisure Centre,
9.45am - Book In
10.00am - Warm Up
10.05am - Black Belt Introduction
10.10am - Sensei Phil Whyte
11.30am - Interval
11.35am - Sensei Paul Acton
12.55pm - Warm Down
1.00pm - Finish
For further details Contact Sensei Paul on 07772 474577 or Sensei Phil on 07917 193070
Bookings must be made no later than Friday 23 September 2011
- 02/10/2011Dan Gradings and presentations 2011+The gradings will take place in the Dance Studio at the Crystal Leisure Centre. They will begin at 1.30pm and finish at 4.30pm. Please see your instructor for further information.
Go to the Articles section on the website to see the latest stories.
- 11/09/2011KFA Birmingham Grading+KFA Birmingham held their first grading on Sunday 11 September. This was a very well attended evening giving the opportunity to see the standard of the new KFA club. The grading did not disappoint, as all the students performed to a very high standard. Sensei Arthur and Sensei Anthony had certainly showed they mean business. It was very clear that everyone had worked extremely hard over the clubs first few months which was rewarded with a 100% pass. With a very high standard in place it shows that KFA Birmingham will become one of the best Martail Arts clubs in the area, if not the country. Keep up the good work everyone and congratulations.
- 12/06/2011British Open Kata Championships 2011+KFAís karate squad has again been in action, this time in the Wado Kai British Open Kata Championships at Cheslyn Hay Leisure Centre on Sunday 12th June. With the BKF National Championships nearing this was an ideal opportunity for our senior members to test their new kataís as well as a chance for some less experienced members to test themselves under the scrutiny of EKF referees.
The day started with cadet junior grades, we had three students vying for success, Adam Burke, Joshua Heir and Cameron Aitken, Cameron and Joshua performed superbly to take 1st and 2nd place medals respectively. Daniella Beach went on to get 3rd place in the girls 13/15 yrs senior section, the boys performed well and Callum Beach almost won his boys 13/15 yrs category but was happy with his 2nd place, generally the cadets were up against some strong kata performed by much older competitors. Ashleigh Whyte and Jenny Loftus dominated the ladies section and locked out the final by taking 1st and 2nd place, Alex Whyte and Jack Richards not to be out done did the same in the menís section adding another 1st and 2nd.
Something new for us was pairs kata, Daniella and Callum Beach again performed well and was rewarded with 3rd place, in the adult category Ashleigh and Jenny just missed out in a highly contested final to fellow squad members Alex and Jack but it was another 1st and 2nd. Both of our 3 person teams took 1st place, well done Daniella,, Callum and Max, Ashleigh, Jenny and Alex.
All in all it was a great day for KFA, a wonderful performance by our small squad of thirteen returned 6 gold, 5 silver and 2 bronze medals under full WKF rules. More importantly the experience is invaluable and will benefit everyone back in our clubs. Well done to everyone and a massive thank you to all of the many supporters who braved the weather gave their time.
- 22/05/2011United Styles Association British Open Karate Championships 2011+KFA entered a small team of competitors into the United Styles Association British Open Karate Championships held at the Crystal Leisure Centre, Stourbridge, West Midlands.
The standard of the competition was very high and was well attended by people from all parts of the UK.
All of our students performed brilliantly and surpassed all expectations, Jake Grove, Bradley Hancox, Cameron Aitken, Troy Allen and Daniel Pearson who entered the kata categories narrowly missed out on medal positions with some excellent demonstrations. Jenny Loftus won the Senior Female and Alex Whyte won the Senior Male categories in outstanding fashion each performing to what we know them capable of.
Once the Kata was completed the Kumite began, again there was plenty of passion and spirit on display, Bradley, Cameron, Troy, Megan Harris and Callum Beach all had hard fought bouts and came very close to winning medals. Martin White, Dan Pearson and Daniella Beach succeeded in winning third place medals, Max Richards won his difficult category (13/15yrs), Jenny Loftus won the Female -68kgs and Alex Whyte won the Mens -75kgs, both Jenny & Alex beat England squad memberís amongst others on route to their success.
All in all it was a truly great day for KFA who was again well supported by parents, family members and fellow students.
- 08/05/2011EKF Nationals Report+Posted 5th May 2011
EKF Nationals Report
Upgrades and new Judges: Paul Acton, Peter Beeforth, Robert Lamb, Phil Whyte kumite judge B"s
Mark Winstanley, Nigel Blood [both] kumite judge A"s, and kata judge B"s
Robert Hardy, Penny Williams kumite referee B"s
Barry Lovett kumite referee A"s
I would just like to thank all judges and referees for all their hard work at the championships, but would like to menition the following for their hard work in keeping the areas going over the 2 days at the nationals. Billy Brennan asst. chief referee, and the tatami chiefs Tony Dent, Vince Parker, Harold stephenson, Dave Robinson, Peter Bibby, Jeff westgarth, Richard Burridge, Frances Gow, ivor thomas, Mike Tointon and Brian jarvis. It was a very busy championships and the standard of the competitors was high and finals were introduced at the end of the competition days to add sparkle to the days proceedings, i believe this is important in the preparation for competitors and referees in europe. Altogether there was no major injurys and was very please of how the weekend went
Click the image above to see a larger version.
- 08/05/2011KFA Grading+The Gradings took place in the Dance Studio at the Crystal Leisure Centre on Sunday 8 May 2011 from 1.30pm till 4.30pm. 10 students were attempting their Dan grades and 11 taking Kyu grades. The panel expressed, to the students, what they required in the grading, and then it was soon time to begin. The grading itself comprised of basics techniques, 3 Kataís, Kumite and impact work. Everyone had an opportunity to show what they had learnt over many years of hard work. It was clear from the start that the standard set by the panel had been achieved, with some dazzling displays. Each student tried their best, and in a lot of cases performed better on the day than previously. All their hard work and preparation finally paid off with every student passing their grades. The Dan grades certainly deserved their awards and the panel were extremely pleased. It was a great end to a great weekend. The students, who graded, are of the highest standard and the senior students of KFA. They had all shown great desire and have set a very high target and standard for future Dan grades.
Congratulations to all the successful students who achieved their new Dan grades and once again raising the bar. Many thanks for all the positive comments regarding the course and the grading. It is a fantastic opportunity to reward students for what they have achieved and contributed to martial arts. You see so many these days reward grades for the wrong reasons. At least we know our students have achieved the criteria set, so to be eligible to grade. Well done, we are all very proud of each and every one of you.
Another brilliant day for Karate For All.
Check out the PICTURES
- 08/05/2011KFA Spring Course 2011+The KFA Spring Course was held at the Crystal Leisure Centre on Sunday 8 May 2011. This was a very well attended course by our students. The day began with a warm up session with Sensei Alex Whyte. Once he had got the blood pumping we quickly moved on to the introduction of some of our Black Belts. With 23 Black Belts attending on the day it showed the wealth of knowledge we had for our students to learn from. Sensei Phil Whyte then began by teaching fighting techniques and showed in detail what he was looking for. This gave the students the opportunity to pair off with other students and try their hand at the new moves. All the students really enjoyed this session and worked extremely hard. The students concentrated on attacking and blocking, with an emphasis on body position. Sensei Phil was pleased with the overall result, and could see that the students really had taken on board what was asked of them. The time flew and it was soon time for a well earned break. With the interval over it was time for Sensei Paul to begin the second session. Sensei Paulís lesson was hopefully going to give the students a better understanding of performing Kata. The students practised Kata moves then swiftly moved on to the application of Kata. Once again the students paired off and tried their hand at the self defence element. Sensei Paul was pleased with the progress made by all the students and swiftly moved on to the impact pads to demonstrate the impact required to carry out senior Kata at a high standard. All the students could see why it was so important to have a better understanding of Kata and you could see how they could now bring their Kataís to life. The Bunki element is important to us all now as we will be using this in our gradings and in future English Karate Federation competitions. Where did the time go. With the session coming to a close it was time for Sensei Alex to carry out his warm down session. Throughout the day it was good to see so many of our Black Belts giving a helping hand.
Session over and time for the Gradings to take place in our other room.
Many thanks to all the students for attending our course and making it such a success.
Check out the PICTURES
- 25/03/2011EKF National Championships 2011+Sheffield
- 05/03/2011KFA Stourbridge Presentation Evening+Stourbridge KFA Club held their annual Presentation Evening at the Stourbridge Institute on Saturday 5 March. The support by everyone was truely great. The evening got off to a great start with an excellent choice of food. Soon it was time for the top ten awards. Both Sensei Paul and Sensei Phil spoke about the exciting times to come and the announcement of Dan Gradings for the Spring Course in May. Sensei Paul then awarded the top ten students for their contribution to martail art in 2010. The winning students are as follows: Most Spirited Cadets 2010 are Laura Banning, Hannah Banning and Ryan Duffy, Most Spirited Adults 2010 are Ryan Johnson and Anthony Pugh. Best Newcomer 2010 was Jamie Shepherd. Most Improved students went to Charlie and Joshua Hier. Students Best Cadet 2010 went to Jordan Newton and Students Best Adult went to Matthew Acton. Sensei Paul's Cadet 2010 went to Adam Burke and his Best Adult went to Kevin Burke. The students very kindly gave Sensei Paul a voucher for Sky Diving. The evening continued, till late, with music, giving everyone the chance to show their moves on the dance floor. The evening was a great success thanks to everyone attending and supporting, especially with the huge amount of food given. Well done to everyone who won an award. For those who did not gain an award the race is already on for next year. We may have a joint presentation evening next year so if anyone knows of a venue for approx 300 it would be much appreciated. For the students who continued into the early hours if any of you could find Anthony Callaghan it would be appreciated.
Take a look at the pictures section.
- 20/02/2011English Karate Federation Open Championships 2011+A small Team from KFA entered the English Karate Federation held recently at the Crystal Leisure Centre in Stourbridge. All the members gave a dazzling display and certainly made us proud of their achievements on the day. Competitors of the highest standard attended, including full International Squad members from England, Wales and Scotland. All the members gave 100% with 5 members gaining major honours. The results are as follows:
Daniella Beach 3rd Girls 14/15 yrs Kumite
Ashleigh Whyte 3rd Junior Female 16/17yrs -59kgs
Jack Richards 3rd Junior Male 16/17yrs -68kgs
Jenny Loftus 3rd Female -68kgs
Alex Whyte 3rd Male -75kgs
The following members in the Team narrowly missed awards but not through lack of effort. They are as follows: Megan Harris, Max Richards, Louise Thomas,Mike Payne and Ryan Johnson. Well done to everyone and for all the support we recieved. Congratulations.
The Team already are working very hard towards the next tournaments. If anyone would like to train with the KFA Squad please contact your instructor. Many thanks.
Please go to pictures section to see the winning Team.
- 07/02/2011KFA Dudley Gradings+Well done to the 21 students who passed their recent grading at KFA Dudley. Sensei Phil was very pleased with the standard shown on the day. The students had trained hard for this grading with many taking advantage of extra lessons. Their hard work certainly paid off with all 21 passing with flying colours. Well done all.
- 09/01/2011EKF referees course / coach acreditation+Well done to all the KFA Team who attended the English Karate Federation referee and coach course and exams. This was held locally in the Midlands and was excellently run over a day period. At the end of the coaching the Team had to face the exams. All the KFA members did extremely well with all obtaining passes. Congratulations go to Sensei Pat Richards, Sensei Jenny Loftus and Sensei Alex Whyte for successfully achieving their coaching passes. Sensei Phil Whyte and Sensei Paul Acton achieved both their referee and coaching qualifications. Sensei Phil did mention he scored 2 more marks than Sensei Paul. This is a great result for KFA and we are all proud to achieve our acreditations. Another success. Well done Team.
- 26/11/2010KFA Dudley Presentation Evening 2010+KFA Dudley held their annual presentation night on Friday 26 November 2010. This gave Sensei Phil the opportunity to thank all the club members for their continued support and to present awards to successful students. All the details can be found on the KFA Articles section.
- 14/11/2010KFA Autumn Course 2010+KFA held their Autumn Course at The Crystal Leisure Centre in Stourbridge on 14 November 2010. The Course was a great success from start to finish, with an excellent turn out by our students. Full details can be found in our Articles section. Many thanks.
- 03/11/2010KFA Autumn Course 2010 Announced+The KFA one day Autumn Course has been announced for Sunday 14th November. Details, Prices and Times can now be found in the Events Section - just click here to jump straight to the info.
- 31/07/2010New Photo Galleries added+We've finally got round to adding a few new photo galleries. Check them out.
- 28/07/2010Go Karting and Meal date Set+We have now set the date for the go-karting and meal evening - Friday 13th August. Parents are more than welcome to join us. We will begin racing at 8.00pm so should be eating around 9.00pm. Please try and join us for a fun evening of thrills and spills. For more information please see one of our instructors. See more detals Here.
- 22/07/2010Go Karting SOON!+As mentioned at the club last night, we will shortly be taking a Go-Karting trip. Although the initial date for this was Friday 6th of August, it seems many people that would like to attend would be busy on that day, so we are now looking at what day would suit the most people and we'll announce the new date here and at the club.
- 15/01/2010Presentation Evening+The KFA Presentation Evening was held recently. Many awards were given to the best students of 2009. The evening was a great success with great support from everyone. Please see the pictures in the picture section of our site.
- 25/02/2009New Training Tops+Our new KFA training tops have arrived. These tops are exclusive to KFA and will be available for further orders. Anyone wishing to purchase a KFA top should speak to their instructor today or go to the KFA store and purchase online. To view our latest range go to the KFA store now. If there is any further information required on any products do not hesitate to ask.
- 09/02/2009New Venue+Due to the growth of the Stourbridge KFA Club we have moved to the Main Sports Hall in the Crystal Leisure Centre. This new venue has proved a big hit with the Members and provided us with a lot more training area.
- If you don't see our latest Tweets here, the Twitter website may be experiencing problems or you may have browser settings that prevent Twitter API activity.